Ngapa Jukurrpa (Water Dreaming) - Wrap Dress
We are so excited to announce our second First Nation's wearable art in collaboration with Warlukurlangu Artist's Centre, one of Australia's longest running and most successful Aboriginal-owned art centres in Central Australia.
We are honoured to feature Lynette Nangala Singleton's work and Dreaming.
For those not familiar with First Nation's ( or Australian Aboriginal) Dreaming artwork, this style of art is one medium for sharing important cultural stories of history, survival on the land, food acquisition/hunting and cultural identity. It is with deep respect and admiration that we collaborate with both Lynette Nangala Singleton, her community and Warlukurlangu Artist's Centre to use this artwork.
Lynette lives in Nyirripi, an Aboriginal community 160 km north-west of Yuendumu, Northern Territory. Lynette paints her Father’s Jukurrpa stories, Dreamings which relate directly to her land, in particular a rock hole west of Lake McKay. These stories have been passed down by her father and her father’s father for generations.
The site depicted in this painting is Puyurru, west of Yuendumu. In the usually dry creek beds are ‘mulju’ (soakages), or naturally occurring wells. The 'kirda' (owners) for this site are Nangala/Nampijinpa women and Jangala/Jampijinpa men. Two Jangala men, rainmakers, sang the rain, unleashing a giant storm. The storm travelled across the country from the east to the west, initially travelling with a ‘pamapardu Jukurrpa’ (termite Dreaming) from Warntungurru to Warlura, a waterhole 8 miles east of Yuendumu. At Warlura, a gecko called Yumariyumari blew the storm on to Lapurrukurra and Wilpiri. Bolts of lightning shot out at Wirnpa (also called Mardinymardinypa) and at Kanaralji. At this point the Dreaming track also includes the ‘kurdukurdu mangkurdu Jukurrpa’ (children of the clouds Dreaming). The water Dreaming built hills at Ngamangama using baby clouds and also stuck long pointy clouds into the ground at Jukajuka, where they can still be seen today as rock formations.
* This Dreaming artwork and it's intellectual property will always remain the property of the artist and her community. We've used this artwork with permission and proceeds of each sale of this print go back to Lynette Nangala Singleton and her community.
The Wrap Facts:
- All wrap dresses are made to your preference, you choose from the options the length of the sleeves and skirt so you have a more personal and customised dress to suit your body.
- Fabric composition:
95% Polyester / 5% Spandex
- Sizing :
Stretch jersey is generous when it comes to sizing. We recommend that if you fluctuate between two sizes that you go for the smaller of the two for a more flattering look. If you purchase a size that is not the correct size, then we are more than happy to exchange for the correct sizing at the return of the original garment in original condition.
If unsure of your sizing, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your measurements and we will help you find your best fit.
Skirt lengths - You can choose between the below lengths:
Short skirt: approx 55cms from waist down
Knee length skirt: 63 cms from waist down
Midi length skirt: 90 cms from waist down
Maxi / full length skirts: 100 cms from waist down
* Please be sure to measure these before purchase to ensure you are getting the correct length hemline.
- Quality : Stretch knit Jersey does not pill or stretch out of shape after a few washes. We've tested our fabric over a year long process of washing and wearing to prove the versatility of the fabric. These dresses are all a low manintance garments so there is no dry cleaning or ironing required.
- Wear : Jersey fabric falls along your figure to compliment natural curves and slender body shapes. The fabric naturally falls along the lines of the body to accentuate the booty and bust.
- Travel friendly :
Stretch Jersey doesn't crinkle or crease so these dresses are the best travel companion. Perfect for both the beach, island vacay or a coffee date, The By Samantha wrap dresses are ready for any occasion.
All of our dresses are made in Melbourne's sunniest suburb, Sunshine, Australia by a team of hardworking machinists.
* Model wears size 10 ( she is approx 5.3 ' tall, bust: E cup)