Yarla Jukurrpa ( Bush Potato Dreaming) wrap dress
We are so excited to announce our first First Nation's wearable art in collaboration with Warlukurlangu Artist's Centre, one of Australia's longest running and most successful Aboriginal-owned art centres in Central Australia.
We are honoured to feature Alicka Napanangka Brown's work and Dreaming. For those not familiar with First Nation's ( or Australian Aboriginal) Dreaming artwork, this style of art is one medium for sharing important cultural stories of history, survival on the land, food acquisition/hunting and cultural identity. It is with deep respect and admiration that we collaborate with both Alicka Napanangka Brown, her community and Warlukurlangu Artist's Centre to use this artwork.
The artist, Alicka Napanangka Brown, is a young lady from Yuendumu, NT. Alicka paints her Grandmother’s Yanjirlpirri Jukurrpa (Star Dreaming) and her father’s Yarla Jukurrpa (Bush Potato Dreaming) stories that relate directly to plants, the land and animals in her region. Alicka has an unique approach that couples her individualist style using patterns and design coupled with traditional iconography to depict her traditional Jukurrpa.
This artwork is a story of how bush tucker is found in the desert, namely Yarla (Yarla= Bush Potato). In contemporary painting from Warlpiri (Warlpiri= the region located in the Northern Territory ), traditional iconography is used to represent Dreamtime stories (the Jukurrpa). In this painting the curved lines (the kuruwarri) are ceremonial designs that represent the vines that trail out from the growing potatoes (Yarla-depicted here as white/ pink ovals).
Men and women of the Warlpiri country will use digging sticks( Karlangu) to search for the bush potato (Yarla) and wild bush carrots (Wapirti).
* This Dreaming artwork and it's intellectual property will always remain the property of the artist Alicka Napanangka Brown and her community. We've used this artwork with permission and proceeds of each sale of this print go back to Alicka Napanangka Brown and her community.
To celebrate the collaboration with Warlukurlangu Artist's Centre, we're including a complimentary little lipstick purse / multi purpose purse with every dress purchase.these pouches are made from off cut fabric that would normally be wasted during production.
The Wrap Facts:
- All wrap dresses are made to your preference, you choose from the options the length of the sleeves and skirt so you have a more personal and customised dress to suit your body.
- Fabric composition:
- Sizing :
Stretch jersey is generous when it comes to sizing. We recommend that if you fluctuate between two sizes that you go for the smaller of the two for a more flattering look. If you purchase a size that is not the correct size, then we are more than happy to exchange for the correct sizing at the return of the original garment in original condition.
If unsure of your sizing, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your measurements and we will help you find your best fit.
Skirt lengths - You can choose between the below lengths:
Short skirt: approx 55cms from waist down
Knee length skirt: 63 cms from waist down
Midi length skirt: 90 cms from waist down
Maxi / full length skirts: 100 cms from waist down
* Please be sure to measure these before purchase to ensure you are getting the correct length hemline.
- Quality : Stretch knit Jersey does not pill or stretch out of shape after a few washes. We've tested our fabric over a year long process of washing and wearing to prove the versatility of the fabric. These dresses are all a low manintance garments so there is no dry cleaning or ironing required.
- Wear : Jersey fabric falls along your figure to compliment natural curves and slender body shapes. The fabric naturally falls along the lines of the body to accentuate the booty and bust.
- Travel friendly :
Stretch Jersey doesn't crinkle or crease so these dresses are the best travel companion. Perfect for both the beach, island vacay or a coffee date, The By Samantha wrap dresses are ready for any occasion.
All of our dresses are made in Melbourne's sunniest suburb, Sunshine, Australia by a team of hardworking machinists.
* Model wears size 10 ( she is approx 5.3 ' tall, bust: E cup)